Thursday, April 14, 2011

Of Lilacs, Honey, and Sun – Z to A Blog Challenge

In Missouri, this is the time of lilacs, sun-dried clothes, and honey. On our farm, this is the only season the three scents combine and breathe with the wind.

Odors spark the synapses in my brain and always pull me into a memory. Forty years ago, my sister made butter and now the smell takes me back to her. If I catch a whiff of mothballs and Channel No5, I think of my deceased mom.

In your manuscript, use aromas to focus the reader, to give a point of reference. After I read the words in one of my favorite novels, the scent of lilacs, honey, and sun does it for me, tugs my thoughts back to the book.

What books have opened your sense of smell just by reading the words?

12 comments:

  1. I once read about the smell of warm cinnamon. It got me smack into the middle of the scene. :-)

    That reminds me to work in more smells when I edit my book...

    ReplyDelete
  2. good advice that many may not think to use. we take smells for granted.
    happy o day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warm bread will pull me into a scene at anytime. My grandma used to make the BEST clover rolls. This is a beautiful post! Just the title was enough to lure me here. So poetic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Misha
    I could live in a cinnamon paneled room and not get enough of the smell.
    @Tara
    The experts say that smells are more likely to trigger memory than sights or sounds.
    @ Anita
    Holy cow...bread, how could I forget the smell of homemade bread. *note to self: must put bread into my MS*
    Thankx!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lilacs are my favorite springtime flower. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The smell of lilacs is out of this world. I love them! Here in Wyoming they make their appearance in late May early June.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I often forget to include smells in my book. We forget about it but almost every time I read about coffee, I have to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that time of year where you can smell these wonderful scents. We aren't quite there yet in North PA.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too love the smell of lilacs, honey and sun-dried clothes..reminds me of home!!
    You have a wonderful blog and seems to be having fun with the A-Z Challenge.

    I found you with the ‘surprise me’ button. I’m a new follower of yours. I'd love to have you check out my take on the A to Z Challenge, comment and follow, if you'd like.
    http://oaklawnimages.blogspot.com/
    Kathy at Oak Lawn Images

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a MC right now who LOVES smells - her mother has a smell, her boy has a smell... for her, that's the recognition and love. It's been a lot of fun to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm passing on the Versatile Blogger Award! Come and get it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like these sensations;the vibration of your blog
    Good vibrations :)

    Crying With A Sense Of Human
    .

    ReplyDelete

Your Turn. Don't Be Shy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...