Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Twilight:Stirring the Pot

My mom said the word ‘hate’ is like a curse in the eyes of God. I rarely use the word when describing ‘things’ let alone humans.


So you could say the word bothers me.

Why do people hate Twilight?

All of us have opinions. I understand the vegetarian’s viewpoint regarding eating meat and agree with them to a point. But I am a carnivore. No need for either of us to get huffy just because we don’t agree.

With that in mind, there are books that I didn’t care for, the writing and the storyline:
  • Water for Elephants
  • The Notebook
  • Interview with a Vampire
  • The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

There are books and authors I love:
  • Lord of the Rings
  • The Kingkiller Chronicles
  • Mary Stewart
  • Jim Butcher
  • Kevin Hearne
  • Patricia Briggs
  • Patrick Rothfuss

And

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.

Why the vitriol against Twilight and the author?

Reason #1: Terrible writing

Yeah, debut authors should be perfect in every way *smarmy much?*

Reason #2: Poor role model

Seriously?! Since when do writers fret over role models? Pick up any YA and show me a good role model that fits everyone's concept of the word. This premise leaves me scratching my head and makes me wonder if they are reading the same books I am.

Reason #3: The movies are stupid.

*smacks forehead* Clearly the person who said this isn’t a reader and depends on the big screen to review books. Read Gone With the Wind for perspective.

Reason #4: Bella is moody

*gasp* ReaLLY? A teen that is moody? OMGosh, how unrealistic.

I read Twilight three years ago and my world changed for the better. I quietly indulge my love for the books. Why do people loathe the books to such a degree that they froth at the mouth? Popularity might be the answer. Or the lobsters in a bucket simile. One lobster crawls to the rim and the others pull it down to their level.

At any rate, the word ‘hate’ and acidic comments thrown at the novels make no sense to me. If you don’t care for the books, great. I didn’t like A Discovery of Witches either but that doesn’t mean I don’t think ANYONE should read it or would enjoy it.

Am I being unreasonable?
(btw, I don't care for the movies either but dang, that RPatz is breathtaking)




13 comments:

  1. I concur. I thoroughly enjoyed (ok devoured) the Twilight books and even drove some distance.to get the fourth and last. I also LOVED Girl with Dragon Tattoo and Interview with the Vampire as well as many others on your love list. We all have different tastes and it's a good thing otherwise a lot of us wouldn't get published at all. Diversity is a GOOD thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go TEAM JACOB! Heh heh. I enjoyed the series of books. Well written???? How should I know. I pretend to write, so I won't be the first to throw stones. The only thing that really bothered me about the movie was the choice of actors. Edward was supposed to be the most handsome man in all the world. And that's what I get????? Robert Pattinson? PASS. Big Pass. What a let down. Team Jacob all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good points! Variety is the spice of life, as they say. What resonates with one group of people doesn't with another, and that's perfectly fine. That should give us hope as writers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I am not the target audience, so I've never read the books. I have watched the movies, both to be informed and just because I watch everything. I can understand why teen girls love them even though the movies are 'eh.'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, I don't like the series. I don't like the vegetarian thing, and I don't like the whole shimmering in the daylight thing either. Even seeing one of the movies (OK I gave the first movie a chance) it still didn't change my mind, but and this is a major but, I do like the fact that it makes people read and I think that's all that matters. I'm positive not everyone likes the same books that I hold so dearly to my heart, (most of them being the Annie Rice vampire novels, paranormal romance [J.R.Ward], and historical romance like Joanna Lindsey) actually I have been made fun of because I liked those books when I was younger, but again, my point is I like any book that gets anyone to read. (Just a side note, I didn't read the Harry Potter books either)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hate is only a curse in the eyes of God if you believe in God. If you don't, then it is just a verb...a part of speech...which is how I suggest you view it when people say "I 'hate' Twilight."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked the Twilight series :) And the movies are great. Stephanie Meyer must have done something right, because plenty of us feel that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Marcy
    I wasn't hooked until the third book. After that, my life really changed.
    @Wine and Words
    To me the movies are a total different animal than the books. No comparison. But like the poster says, "Team Edward! unless Jacob takes his shirt off" LOL
    @Carol
    If it weren't for diversity, life would be dull :)
    @Alex
    *groan* Come on, Dude! I am waaay past the teenage girl stage. But *snicker* thanks anyway.
    @Nyxie Moon
    I never ever have a problem with discussions. It's the hate part I don't like or understand.
    @Michael
    What?! Are you saying my Mommy was wrong? Ah now, it is difficult to change a mindset that was made a lifetime ago.
    @Melissa
    some people like tea. Other folks like coffee. I like both but prefer a Coke. Kinda like some books. *BG*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't say I hate the book or the movie. Dislike, maybe, but not hate. Here's why:
    Expectations set too high - I wasn't one of the readers during the greatest part of the Twi-craze. Didn't know much about Edward or Jacob to pick a team, though from physical aspects alone I would run with Team Jacob all the way. I had friends practically beating me upside the head telling me how great, how wonderful and how much I would love this book. And when I finally got around to reading it, it was a bit of a bummer. Again, just the expectations were way too high.

    As for Stephenie Meyer, I don't hate her. Actually, I'd shake her hand and love to sit down for a chat to talk about anything for her books since she discusses them enough all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. we are simpatico on all but twilight
    i dont hate, it just wasnt my style =)
    still good tho

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also read the Twilight books about four years ago and really liked them--primarily because I've always been a fan of the vampire lore. (I did like Interview!) And I was surprised by how captivating YA could be. I thought Meyer did a fine job. I haven't reread them with a critical eye, but I do agree the movies are just awful. And I do recall thinking the final book went over the top and wasn't very good. But 1-3 were entertaining stories. Here's to escapist fiction~ :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked the books too and I completely agree with you about everything else. Great post.

    ReplyDelete

Your Turn. Don't Be Shy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...