Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Eroticism. A very subjective definition – Z to A Blog Challenge

*must tiptoe with care*

The subject spikes interest, makes the ears perk up. (hush)

But not every reader is similarly affected.

I like Richelle Mead’s Succubus series and Dark Swan. Love the story line, mystery, conflict, and especially her writing style. But, um, well she can get quite descriptive on occasion.

That’s okay. I am not a prude or in anyway offended. But after reading one *insert tab A into slot B* scene, I skip those bits and pieces and move onto the story. In other words, it does nothing for me.

But this passage from Jack London’s Burning Daylight is something else again. The couple has just married and arrived at Daylight’s ranch house.

“She heard the footsteps of Daylight returning, and caught her breath with a quick intake. He took her hand in his, and, as he turned the doorknob, felt her hesitate. Then he put his arm around her and together they passed in.”
To me it speaks volumes, beautiful, subtle, and oh-my-goodness romantic.
Wicked Game by Chris Isaak is, IMHO, one of the most erotic songs ever.

‘What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way,

What wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.

What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way,

What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you and

I don’t want to fall in love.

‘The world was on fire and no one could save me but you.

It’s strange what desire will make foolish people do.

I never dreamed that I’d meet somebody like you.

And I never dreamed that I’d lose somebody like you.’

Are there books or songs that affect you? Passage not generally viewed as erotic.

12 comments:

  1. That's one of my favorite songs, too. Very erotic, without being explicit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, I loved that Chris Isaak's song too, although I think much has to do with the tone of his voice :O

    Just to let you know I have awarded you with the Versatile Blogger award if you'd like to collect it over at my blog. Well deserved and it's been great to meet you

    warm wishes
    Debbie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everybody's got different tastes - and a good thing, too!

    As long as the subject is dealt with honestly, I'm good with however it's handled, if the story and writing's good. I don't like sex scenes stapled in gratuitously, and am equally offended when the inference is that two young, healthy adults can simply hold hands without having, shall we say, urges. They don't have to have sex, but as a reader I want to know both that they do have urges, and how they are dealing with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I'm totally with you on this :) Its the whole Gone With the Wind thing, where all you see is him sweeping her up the stairs, and then the door closes. So shiver inducing :)

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete
  5. For starters, I cannot believe I'm writing this in a public forum. If my mother ever dared to "explore" the internet without fear of the government tapping into her computer to monitor her, and stumbled upon your site, she'd disown me.

    So, here we go: I think it's in perspective. I agree that when I'm reading the whole Slot A/Point B thing, it doesn't really do much for me--I prefer the innuendos and subtlty of a lingering touch or a simple smile. HOWEVER, if you're reading from a man's point of view, i.e., J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series, well then...that's an entirely different story. Not only is Point B going into slot A, but I'm pretty sure it finds slots C-Z, along the way. And when you hear what this GUY is thinking...BWAAAA!!

    Let's just say that my husband loves it when a new installment of this series is released :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did I mention my dad's a preacher?! Bad, bad, very,very bad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Linda G. The song is on my faves list when I am writing love scenes.
    @Bluestocking Mum
    I agree about the voice *fans face* And Thank You for the Versatile Blogger Award. I am truly humbled.
    @Beverly Diehl
    I'm with you. I don't have a problem with the sex scenes. Just want to get them out of the way and back to the story sometimes.
    @Sarah Allen
    Oh, yesssssssssss. That hot scene is...okay, must take a time out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with you and enjoyed the passage you shared.
    Interesting post. I wish I'd found you earlier in the A to Z challenge (but here I am now). I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the subtle hints and heck, the more teasing when they don't have sex until nearly the very end works for me when written well.

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you're so touched by such subtle suggestions. That gives me hope, b/c I don't write super-erotic scenes, but I do write super-romantic books... Anyway, great song, great story, and reow! Great statue~ :D

    ReplyDelete

Your Turn. Don't Be Shy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...