Monday, February 18, 2013

Here's Your Sign (that you're a Writer)


You know you’re a writer when:


-The hubby smashes his finger with a ten-pound hammer and all you can think about on the trip to the ER is how to put the screaming in a scene

-Poor grammar in famous books drives you nuts

-Reading for pleasure morphs into reading for stylistic ideas

-You talk to the voices in your head
-And they answer

-Interruptions from spouse/kids/phone/fire in the kitchen tee you off

-You've been writing since 5 am and are shocked when you realize the sun is up and it is lunchtime

-When the voices wake you in the middle of the night, the scrawl you made on the phone book by the bed needs translated

-Scribbling a chapter ending without taking your eyes off the road while driving actually makes sense.

-Human behavior in a mall is prime fodder for your wip
-People are suspicious when you stare at them in a mall

-Meals are a distraction and entirely voluntary

-Caffeine is your boon companion

-Chocolate is mandatory to complete tough scenes

-The family grows to expect non-verbal responses when you are writing

-Pen and writing material are close by at all times
-Post-its, paper napkins, used envelopes, and magazine covers are acceptable writing material


Being a writer gives you one of Life’s highest highs and lowest lows.

 

But you keep on truckin’ 

16 comments:

  1. Ha ha! Your poor hubby. Did you figure out a way to include it in your writing?

    I had a similar experience this week. Not with a hammer, but with an infection. The grossness of it all really needed to be put into words to purge it from my mind. All I kept thinking was, "the zombie apocalypse is starting at my house. MY house!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, but I didn't tell him. Not sure if he'd approve, HA.

      I swear, zombies are pulling me into their world slowly but surely. What a development this is!

      Delete
  2. Hey, isn't that an R. Crumb illustration? Anyone who digs Crumb is weird enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a seventies thing! Keep On Truckin'

      My high school/college years, band, and Iron Butterfly's Inna Gadda Davita.

      Yay, for the Seventies!

      Delete
  3. You accidentally leave out the "passive voice" in your blog posts or e-mails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Accidentally? How about 'highly aware of' to the point of total freezing up on personal emails to brothers or nieces who don't know or care what a 'to be' verb is?

      Delete
  4. LOL This is so me, too! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, way to many of these are true for me. ;) This was great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I missed a few 'signs':

      You know you're a writer when...people who you've never met become some of you best friends ever.

      You know you're a writer when...people who you've never met offer to help you with your precious baby, your wip.

      I'm sure everyone can think of a bunch more :)

      Delete
  7. I guess I'm not a writer, then. Yes, caffeine and me, not friends. Enemies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Equal amounts of chocolate and/or ice cream is the equivalent of caffeine.

      Delete
  8. Family grows to expect non-verbal responses when you are writing
    That one, the chocolate comment, and using what happens in real life as fodder for scenes had me laughing. I guess, after reading this, I am indeed doomed to be called a writer. Lol
    Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cut my own finger pretty badly and between the panic of finding a bandage to stop the blood and the saying of "Sh--" to make myself feel better, my thoughts were flooded with how blood really does smell like copper, and I'd make sure to mention the metallic smell whenever I wrote a bloody scene.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is no denying the truth of this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahaaa, these are all SO true. We can relate cuz we're writers too. Yep, done most of these...

    ReplyDelete

Your Turn. Don't Be Shy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...