Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Drunk in Public


Blogs are a writer’s platform. On this stage, we create the persona that wins viewers, creates a loyal network, and makes a name for ourselves. Hopefully a good name.

Courtesy and an awareness of your surroundings are paramount in the posts. If a misunderstanding, harsh critiques, and rejections send you into a tailspin, your path will be just that, an endless loop going nowhere.

Complaining or public ranting is an emotional outlet for your feelings. But it is a self-inflicted and mostly fatal wound. Don’t do it. Agents, editors, and publishers can read. They watch sites like Query Tracker and AbsoluteWrite forums. If you leave a comment on their blog blasting their rejection of your query, it will get their attention. And not in a good way.

If I need to rant, my two bestest buddies, Charity and Marcy, are there for me as I am for them. Or I go kick the dog, which usually does not end well.

My point is everyone needs to let off steam. No argument. But this is not the venue. Exposing yourself in public is not cool.

First, it is rude. Second, you learn nothing. Education comes from mistakes. How you handle rejections says a lot about whether you are open for growth. Shutting down to suck your thumb and complain gets you bupkis, zip, zero.

Learn from rejections and harsh critiques. A public display paints you as an amateur.

Lastly, public fussing gets you more rejections. Might as well dump your mss and quit now, because buck-o, you have a long row to hoe if you think this business is easy on the mind. Not everyone will love your book. No matter how well you write, how intriguing your storyline, someone will hate it. Guarantee.

Rejections are in your future, whether agents, editors, critique partners, or publishers do the deed. Or your readers.

18 comments:

  1. Such excellent advice. Inappropriate ranting, criticism of others and rash generalizations may get some attention at first but they are big red flags warning off the professionals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've committed a few sins in this arena. Maybe most of us have. But I'm a quick learner.

      Delete
  2. Definitely agree with you here. Although there's times when I've wanted to whine on my blog about stuff and how hard it is what's the point? First off everyone who's in my shoes ALREADY KNOWS this. Second, it's part of the process, the rejections, the requests, the waiting. These are the trials we must all endure. Third, and most important, if you behave like a professional, pretty soon (hopefully) you'll be one :) So here's to acting like the professional writers we all want to be - bottoms up!

    That's coffee in your cup, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! Great post. The temptation to rant can be tough to resist sometimes, but a wise writer will resist anyway. If you can't take rejection, this is the wrong business for you, because you will face it every step of the way--even after you're published. You just have to consider it one of the hazards of the job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Amen! That's why I never rant, in posts or in comments. I always keep it positive. Someone is always watching...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You portray the image of a Christian man following in the Lord's path. I am always humbled by your participation in my little blog.

      Delete
  5. What? Not everyone will love my book? Now my day is ruined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Our books are like our kids, right? They are totally perfect in every way. How DARE someone criticize them. Can't they see how marvelously entertaining they are?

      Delete
  6. LOL, wonderful post and the comments are so entertaining. :) I'm glad you're there to let me rant when I need and vice versa. It's funny how just letting the emotional vomit fall from our lips (Or fingers) is enough to purge it and allow us to move on. But I absolutely agree that online is NOT the place to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Heavens you are there for me! Who am I supposes to rant to otherwise? The hubby? nah. He doesn't have a clue about this stuff. Besides, half the time the rant is about him.

      Delete
  7. OH MY, I have seen people write back to nasty reviews and I just pop some popcorn and watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get out the lawn chairs and bring me a long neck.

      Delete
  8. Wise words. As the Diserata says, 'There will always be those greater than you', or something to that effect. It's humbling. We do our best with what we have at the time. That's all that can be expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy Cats. Love your comment.

      'We do our best with what we have at the time' are good words for any situation.

      Or as Yoda said, "Do... or do not. There is no try."

      Delete

Your Turn. Don't Be Shy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...