Monday, August 29, 2011

Of Tonsillitis and Book Reviews

Lemme tell ya, tonsillitis and reading a fantastic series of books just plain goes together. I know. I did it over this past week.

Before I get to the meat of my posting, one question; isn’t tonsillitis a kids malady?

But I digress.

Prick your ears my children on this bit of sweetness, the Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne.

It begins with Hounded, continues with Hexed, and I just finished the third in the series, Hammered.

Everyone who aspires to sit beside published authors has acquired the irritating habit of ‘editing’ as they read books. I see wall-to-wall alliterations, bad grammar, overuse of pronouns, and think how the hell did this person get an agent let alone get published wonder if reading every new book will hit me this way.

I began Hounded and my editorial eye kicked in immediately. But nothing happened, no critiques exploded to kill my concentration. *whoa*

For me there are three kinds of books.

One, a book I immediately sling to one side and expand my mind by mowing the lawn instead.

Two, a book I like, dig in and devour. But muddled prose and unnecessary characters fill the pages and I begin skipping paragraphs then pages to get to the end. Usually I re-read them thoroughly.

Three, the last kind, the novel that I savor, roll over my senses, and absorb every word w/o skipping a word.

Not many books have had that effect on me. The King Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss is one. Now, the Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne is the second.

How good? I bought the series for my Kindle but now I must have them in book form. They are too good not to feel the paper under my fingers as I read.

And my tonsillitis is succumbing to pills I swallow twice daily. Of which I forgot to take because I was writing this. ACK.

7 comments:

  1. I've read the first book in the Iron Druid series. I need to get my hands on the others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go take your pills! We want you feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, sorry to hear you're sick. No fun :(

    I had to smile at your list of 3 kinds of books. Isn't that the truth! ;)

    Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No wonder you've been so quiet. I hope you feel better soon. thanks for a new series for me to go read. I needed something in a bad way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh. Sorry you're sick, but glad you found such a great series to get you through! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, get well soon my friend!

    And second, I LOVE those kind of books. Thanks for the great recs!

    ReplyDelete

Your Turn. Don't Be Shy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...