Monday, August 22, 2011

Ellie Garratt's Star Trek Blogfest

Star Trek Blogfest
I saw the original Star Trek in the sixties, first run (Yes. I *AM* older than dirt) When Star Wars opened in theaters, the movie’s popularity revived the Trek industry and gave hope to fans.
I didn’t connect with the newer versions, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager. They just didn’t trip my trigger. At least not until 2009.

My faves:

The City on the Edge of Forever-Apr 1967
Kirk falls in love, suffers loss, and cusses. Can’t beat that.






For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky-Nov 1968
Overly dramatic maybe, but that phrase gave me chills and branded the scene of the old man speaking the lines in my mind.



Star Trek, The Motion Picture-1979
A reviewer called this movie the greatest film of all time. He was a Trek enthusiast and no doubt had to eat his words and slink by his press co-workers forever. But this was the big toe testing the water for the ST franchise. I loved it for the realism.

Star Wars was a movie.
Star Trek was *real*. The transporter scene nailed it for me.







 Star Trek II, The Wrath of Khan-1982
Science Fiction at its finest. “Two dimensional thinking”, Kobayashi Maru, “I don’t believe in a no-win scenario”, “Hours instead of days”. The humor inserted throughout the script is as if they are old friends having a private laugh. And yes, I bawl every time at the end.








Star Trek, JJ Abrams-2009
I didn’t expect to love this version of Trek but it was a done deal by the end. Excellent script with actors who emulate the gestures and tones of the originals. Witness Zachary Quinto slightly hunched walk that looks exactly like Leonard Nimoy. The best quote? “I’ve got your gun.” I anticipate that scene like a kid waiting for dessert.











Favorite characters? Captain Kirk as played by both William Shatner and Chris Pine.








Scotty as played by both Simon Pegg and James Doohan.

29 comments:

  1. excellent choices! i just bought the new star trek movie and cant wait to watch it =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Tara. If I wasn't so loyal to the original series and actors, I would name the 2009 movie the best of all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to see the new Star Trek movie hoping that we wouldn't be let down, and boy we weren't. Great film, and great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool pics. I haven't seen the new Star Trek but I'm working on that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the Abrams & Co. reboot was GREAT. They really paid homage to the original series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful choices. "Star Wars was a movie. Star Trek was real" :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. great, great, great... trek choices.

    jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely done. Wouldn't you just love to be beamed up somewhere? The new Star Trek also awesome. I enjoyed the charactes. I agree that the use of humor enhanced the series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the cast of the new Trek. Everyone nailed their roles. J.J. Abrams is a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like just about all the characters, although I didn;t care much for James Doohan as Scotty. Not sure why. Just didn't. But overall I really like your list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice list. The original series was one the great iconic TV shows. The later series improved on it a lot, but could never match the pioneering spirit of the original.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great choices. I agree the new movie was an excellent addition to the series.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't go wrong with The Wrath of Khan! He was a great evil character.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great, great choices all! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that episode title - for the world is hollow and I have touched the sky. Fabulous. :D I lurves the Kirk.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great choices! I wasn't expecting much from the newest movie either, but I was blown away!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great choices!

    I'm a huge fan of the original and the new movie too! The castings are so eerily familiar that it's perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really wonder how far they can carry the Star Trek tradition. They've done a great job so far...

    ♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥
    Can Alex save Winter from the darkness that hunts her?
    YA Paranormal Romance, Darkspell coming fall of 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great choices! Khan was the best villain ever.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved your post. I'm a bit lost when it comes to all of these other shows and films. I never could really get into them. I could watch The Wrath of khan several times a year...much to the chagrin of my wife and kids. Lol!
    I, too, thought the new film was very good and took great care to embrace what had gone before at the same time that they pressed forward.

    -Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great choices. City on the Edge of Forever is one of my favs as well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good choices. I forgot about the latest movie, which I loved. Very clever, those writers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I could watch Chris Pine as Kirk any time!! :) I'm the opposite - loved all the other series and never really watched the original. I think I seriously need to!

    ~Donea Lee @ http://www.itwillhappenoneday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. "For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky" says it all.

    .....dhole

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bones was probably my favorite character in the 2009 version. "You have numb tongue? I can fix that!" I die laughing at the scene every time

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your tribute to the old and the new. Great choices :O)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yep, I too, was a Star Trek baby. Grew up on the original series (although I think they were reruns then), then followed all of the others. Loved them all!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I enjoyed them okay, but the original series, movies, and 'Star Trek-icity' (the 2009 movie) aren't my favorites. Thanks for warping around the Federation with us! Wrath of Khan was pretty damn good, I have to agree with that much.

    If you get a chance, check out a fellow writer's zombie story and help me make him wear an embarrassing shirt next year! It's the ultimate grudge match between social media and the zombies. Details are here:
    http://kelworthfiles.wordpress.com/2011/07/19/prove-the-zombies-wrong-social-platforms-can-build-readership/

    ReplyDelete

Your Turn. Don't Be Shy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...