Monday, February 23, 2015

When a Small Press Closes its Doors

...or how checking your email is better than caffeine or an alarm clock at waking you up.


I woke last Friday to the news of another small publisher closing down. What made it unique is that it was MY publisher.

On March 1st, 2015, Musa Publishing will be no more.

Over two years ago, Musa took a chance on this dream-laden writer. The small press showed me the ropes, how to publish, download, edit. I learned what a line-editor does, the meaning of the term Galley Proof, and how to format. When I stressed over nothing, they gave virtual pats on the back and laughed with me when goofy things happened.

In other words, the Musa was family, friends, and colleagues. They shoved me down the right path and gave me the chance to succeed.

So what happened?      
                                                    
Don’t know and I’m not going to speculate in public. That only feeds the rumor mill. What I do know is how we were treated at Musa.

Paid on time. Every paycheck was there for us. Other publishers aren’t so quick, withholding funds especially after they go belly-up.

Contract for everyone to see. Their website had a link to their contract, out there, in the open, in front of God and everyone. No hidden legalese to muck things up.

Rights revert to authors. If you’ve done your research, you know the stories about defunct small presses selling the rights to others, withholding paychecks to fund themselves, splitting without informing authors. Musa is doing none of that. On the same day we received the email, Musa sent the letter to revert our books rights back to us on March 1st.

This is Closing-the-Doors done right.

Musa Publishing might be leaving town, but from start to finish, they are a class act.


“May God grant you always...a sunbeam to warm you, a moonbeam to charm you, a sheltering Angel so nothing can harm you. Laughter to cheer you. Faithful friends near you. And whenever you pray, Heaven to hear you.” – Irish Blessing.
“May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, the foresight to know where you are going, and the insight to know when you have gone too far.” – Another Irish Blessing


7 comments:

  1. I'm really sorry! I heard about it from Susan, and it came on the day of the re-release of her fantasy series. That's good they always treated their authors with respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's definitely the bright side of this whole thing. Sorry it had to happen, but at least they're being a class act about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This totally stinks but I'm glad they're doing right by everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is sad to see them go. I hope you find another publisher soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear they're closing their doors. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry!!! I can't even imagine your heartache and stress. I with a small press too (The Wild Rose Prss) and I'd be devastated if they closed their doors.

    ReplyDelete

Your Turn. Don't Be Shy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...