Tuesday, January 27, 2015

What Do You See...

...when your characters come to life?

I need a reference when describing or interacting with my characters. I need a mental image, a face, or person. 

Actions, whether in a book, music, or on the movie screen, help me to define and shape my people.

And yes, they are people, as real as the cat sitting beside me. 


I have conversations with her also.


A little older but still the Wilder Mage
Justus Aubre, the wilder mage, is a strong man. He doesn’t think so. He thinks he’s broken, has nothing. Needs no one:

Crystal Ball by Styx
I used to like to walk the straight and narrow line.
I used to think that everything was fine.
All alone and trapped in time.



At war always with the ones who would enslave him. Running.
Bad Company by Five Finger Death Punch
...always on the run.
Destiny is the rising sun.
Oh, I was born shotgun in my hand.
Behind a gun I'll make my final stand.


The people in his life are fleeting. He accepts that they are like the seasons, they come and go. But that is fine. To tie himself to a person, especially a romantic alliance, is to lose his existence. 

Wicked Game by Chris Isaak
No, I don’t want to fall in love.
With you.
What a wicked game you play
To make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to say
You never felt this way.


Who do you see as Justus Aubre, my wilder mage.



9 comments:

  1. I'm lousy at finding people (actors, whatever) who look like my characters. No one ever fits the bill.
    In yours, I see a lonely character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it usually takes me a while to figure out what my characters look like, but then once I do, they feel more vivid and real. Sometimes I find actors who look like them but I don't really try to seek them out. I like to just hold on to the image of them in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Sarah and Alex. Even as I'm writing the novel, and my characters experience growth, the actor face sometiimes changes. And sometimes, I see someone real in my day life. But I always visualize the same basic look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if I ever picture characters in others' books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm afraid I'm of no help.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually have a pretty specific image in my mind of my characters as well as those I read about. I think I sort of pictured Justus as looking a bit like Michael Bien.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't spend a lot of time imagining the characters in books I read, and I never try to match them up to real-live people. I've done my own casting for my characters, but even then, there's no one that quite truly fits.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes my characters have faces similar to famous folks, but they can also be uniquely their own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tend to see my characters in my head and have a difficult time matching that to actors or photos online. I usually write down what they look like so I can keep track of little details as I write though.

    ReplyDelete

Your Turn. Don't Be Shy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...