Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The World of Dresden



In 2007, the Dresden Files premiered on TV and introduced me to the world according to Jim Butcher. As with all good series, the studio muckety mucks canceled the show but it was too late for me. I was hooked.

Jim Butcher wrote the first of his Dresden series, Storm Front, in 2000. Cold Days, published last month, is book number 14.

Cold Days follows Harry Dresden from the grave back to the living as he begins learning his new role as the Winter Knight to Mab, Queen of Air and Darkness.

I could say it has plot twists that make you nearly rip the paper off as you turn the pages. I could say the surprises and mysteries make you gasp audibly. And the humor. My Sweet Babboo wondered what that the heck was going on when I’d LOL while reading the book.

Any good novel has all of that. The difference is in my reading style. I read fast. And if the storyline or writing turns blah, I mostly skip ahead. Like whole paragraphs. Then pages. Sometimes I snarl and go to the end to see who dunnit. My highest recommendation is for those books that kept me on the page, reading every word.

That is Cold Days. Jim Butcher delivered again.

**
Books I Can’t Wait For in 2013:





The end of Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson. A Memory of Light – Jan 2013










Patricia Briggs’ seventh Mercy Thompson book, Frost Burned – March 2013








Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris, her last in the Sookie Stackhouse series due in May.

9 comments:

  1. I'm in the middle of COLD DAYS right now, and loving every page of it. The Dresden series is one of my absolute favorites. *happy sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best thing about Jim Butcher? He is consistent.

      Every book is worth the price. I won't say they are all in my top ten category of Great Books but I will continue to buy every word he writes.

      This past summer, I swore never to buy another book written by two authors. One wrote such a terrible ending to a series of books that I fumed for days. The other author preached eco-terrorism on every fifth page. Blech.

      Delete
  2. I've only read Storm Front but I sure would like to read the rest. I LOVED that show and was hugely disappointed when it was gone. Idiots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen Cold Days all over. Haven't ever read the series though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A family friend raved about the Dresden series. Said I would love it. So, one of these days, I'll get to it. I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look fantastic, and I didn't realize there were so many Mercy Thompson books. I need to get my list of books I'm excited for next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't had a chance to read The Dresden Files but I have heard TONS of good stuff about Jim Butcher's writing. I love a good book...and your "waiting for" list is to die for :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I think we need to share bookshelves. :) I'm 2/3 of the way through Cold Days - LOVE Butcher and Dresden!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found you as I perused the Alex Blogfest... I am related to one of the organizers, so, of course, I was interested. Loved your opening line there, but what prompted me to say hey were the facts that Jim Butcher likely hung the moon and that you are a Mercy Thompson fan. She is my favorite character of that genre. I have adored Sookie long before she became a TV star and although I haven't kept up with the last few books, I am sad to think her stories are coming to an end. Haven't read Wheel of Time, but with your taste in books, I will check it out. I will be back to visit. Thanks for sharing what you love. P.S. your name is what sent me to your site. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your Turn. Don't Be Shy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...