Monday, January 15, 2018

Cold Days, Warm Bread

I think I let this rise too long. A little funky looking


I bake. Call it a leftover from my infatuation with Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Since discovering store bought bread doesn't sit well with me, I started making more bread.

In combination with my other blog, Unicorn Bell, I am posting a couple of my favorites. Plus the only wheat product I use now, King Arthur.

Although this is a French bread-type loaf, I don't usually do the spraying with water etc that goes along with making it more authentic. I like the taste and simplicity but not the work.



For a bread machine:
Add in this order:

1 C warm water
1 T sugar
1 t salt

2 3/4 C bread flour

Make a well in flour and Add, 1 1/2 t yeast.

Set machine on dough. Mine takes 90 minutes to mix, knead, and rise.

Form two loaves, or baguettes and place on greased cookie sheets. Slash tops with sharp knife.
Cover and let rise 30 minutes.

Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.

For a delicious hot roll recipe, go to Unicorn Bell.

King Arthur Flour has more information regarding how to form rolls and loaves. Also a fantastic Easy Bread recipe.

Enjoy.

8 comments:

  1. Homemade bread tastes better anyway. And French bread is simple to make. (Although we cheat and use a breadmaker.) I'll have to ask my wife what flour we use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use my breadmaker but use the dough cycle only, letting it mix and rise. Not a fan of the baking cycle.

      Delete
  2. You're making me long for a breadmaker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to bake homemade bread all the time, using the machine. That all stopped when the pan started leaking. Not the first time that's happened, it seems to be a consistent design weakness. We balked at buying a whole new machine (again) just for one defective part. But I still miss the flavor of home baking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on my second machine. I dropped the pan, bent it, and for some reason it wouldn't work anymore :P

      I've never had one leak but i use the dough cycle about 99% of the time. Maybe that's the reason? Occasionally I drip a little olive oil in the bottom and turn the paddle to oil it.

      Delete
  4. Love the smell of baking bread, although I've never, ever made it myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older I get, the more I avoid processed foods.

      Delete

Your Turn. Don't Be Shy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...