Wednesday, September 3, 2014

IWSG - What is Plagiarism?


IWSG—Insecure Writers Support Group, coming together on the first Wednesday of every month for a virtual pat on the back. 




Here is the scene: You've conceived a fine premise, written not only that first book but continued the series by 300 K word count. You love it. Your friends and family love it. But it's your first attempt at this career and after querying it to only a few agents, you set it aside to hone your skill and become a better writer.

Since completing the first manuscript, you've gone on and achieved Published Writer with another novel. You decide to return to your first manuscript and polish it for publication.

The unthinkable happens. Another author publishes a book very like your original. The author is well known. A similar book coming out by a mostly unknown writer like yourself might be construed as “riding the coattails” of the famous author.

What do you do?

****
In 2009, I wrote Of Oak and Dragons. The first line in my query: “Dragons walk among us, silent, in human form.”

The new book by Julia Kagawa, Talon: "Dragons walk among us in human form”

*cursing a blue streak*

No, there is no plagiarism involved. And yes, I’ve seen other shape-shifter books. But...GAAAHHH... 

No, I don’t think her book has the same premise and no, I’m sure she didn’t latch onto my query via a literary agent who showed interest and made it her own. At least, I hope she didn’t.

How would it make you feel?


What do you do?

****

Insecure Writers Support Group: The Final Frontier.



These are the continuing voyages of the Ninja Captain, AJC. His mission, to explore all new writing venues, to seek out new authors and new blogs. 

To boldly go where no blogateer has gone before.

17 comments:

  1. Oh, that's tough. I'm sure it's an innocent coincidence, but if you've got a first line you're proud of - and it is a good one! - it must be annoying. I can't help, but I'm sympathising.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks. But I'm sure yours is really different. I think with a new tagline, you can still go forward with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You remember one thing: the premise, the idea, is not what matters. It's the unique way that you execute that idea. Look at all the thousands of vampire stories that have been written over the years, some of which are dully similar in execution, but more of which manage to be unique because of the way the writers have created them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy Cats. That's right. How many books are there about a renegade vampire who wants to be human and finds a girl. Or a girl who wants to "help" a vampire. Or vampire hunters?

      Okay, you made me feel better. It was seeing that tagline that knocked me off my feet.

      Delete
  4. That does suck. Not a great feeling at all, but I'm sure your story will be different, and still publishable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is different. For one thing Ms Kagawa is a YA author (and a darned good one too). I am not. But sometimes the line is blurred.

      Delete
  5. That is unfortunate. You might just need to make a few changes and publish your book anyway. As long as you're not stealing you shouldn't feel guilty. IWSG Co-Host

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that is the worst. I agree with the other commenter's, though; the same story could be written by 100 different writers and still be a completely different story every time. We all perceive things in a different way, and this shows through in our writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry this happened. I can only imagine how you felt when you read that line!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, you know how two different studios seem to come out with movies with similar plots around the same time? That. It happens. Something in the aether, I suppose.

    Your story is different. Focus on that rather than the similarities. Or, let it sit for a while more. Maybe write a sequel to it now and see if that doesn't take it in a different direction.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Arrrrgh! Beating head against wall. I feel your pain. The Cosmos seems to be into idea sharing and all too frequently it scatters them in a clump. It might be coincidence-a new program on TV or movie that stimulates a creative spurt but ouch, in your case. Unless Julia has been stalking you and hacking into your compute (it could happen!) it's just a "great mind's think alike" scenario. You could go boldly and still use the line - after all time will pass between book releases, change it slightly. It would be a shame, though. Brilliant line!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh this always sucks. Problem is, it will always happen. Right before my book launched last year I stumbled onto an already pubbed book with a similar premise. After downloading the sample I realized altho there were some similarities in general, her book was VERY different.
    Nothing can be done about this type of thing except accepting your book can only be your own and that makes it unique. Besides, how many vampire or ghost books are out there? Will peeps still right them? you bet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see why you'd be upset but I think everyone is right about focusing on how your story is different.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would feel very strange about such a "coincidence"(?). It seems very odd to me that the sentences are worded almost exactly the same way. But, what are ya gonna do? Give up? Nope. No point. As Frankie said I did it my way. Your book is your way, and it is unique.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can definitely see how that would be aggravating!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd go for it! If that book was successful, yours will likely be, too...publishing tends to work that way. Similar books do really well for a year or two, then the publishing industry say the market is "saturated" with books like that and refuse to look at another one ever again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It would definitely be a GAAHHHH moment for me, too. But, like others have said, I'd still go for it and trust in the unique awesomeness of my own book. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your Turn. Don't Be Shy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...