Wednesday, February 5, 2014

IWSG - Insecurity



IWSG—Insecure Writers Support Group, coming together on the first Wednesday of every month for a virtual pat on the back. 

Writers have many things in common.

Creativity, drive, the ability to hear small still voices in a crowd.

Those are the good things. Other traits are not so desired.

Introvert. Not many of us are the outgoing type, the life of the party. We smile and nod then turn back to our pens and keyboards.

Ego. Our self-image has more to do with context than substance. We don’t look at ourselves as runway models or beefcake stars but as the common Joe or Jane. The difference is that we have a story to tell. Our egos come to the fore when an agent rejects a manuscript or a critique comes back with red slash-and-burn pen marks. That beloved work, our baby...no one likes it. *grieve*
The above traits, in my opinion, pale beside this creativity killer though.

Insecurity or I’m not good enough.

This ugly beast raises its head at least several times a week. Good book reviews, a big thank you from a fan, virtual hugs from my blogger buddies throw a blanket over it like a smothered cat, but it always finds a way to wiggle way out, one ear at a time.

Insecurity never leaves my side, always whispering in honeyed tones,

“Wilder Mage is a fluke. Quit trying. Stop writing. It’s no use.”

For the love of all that is Holy, how do you silence that nasty little Voice?



* * * *

Insecure Writers Support Group: The Final Frontier.




These are the continuing voyages of the Ninja Captain, AJC. His mission, to explore all new writing venues, to seek out new authors and new blogs. 

To boldly go where no blogateer has gone before.

11 comments:

  1. How do I quash the voices? Bourbon...lots of bourbon. ;) Hey CD. It's been awhile since I've been here...thought I recognized the "Huntress" name. Helping Alex out this month...good to see you again!

    M.L. Swift, Writer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea how to squash that nasty little voice...but I like M.L's suggestion. Bourbon it is, then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I'm not the life of the party.
    If I focus on other things, I can turn off the voice. My wife says I can turn it off without doing anything...

    ReplyDelete
  4. *hugs* We plan a writing retreat together! Then we can help each other.

    At least you've finished the next book in the series. That's huge Carol! You did it in spite of that nasty little voice. Good for you. Next time it whispers in your ear you put it in its place because you have already shown you are stronger than your insecurities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I could help. The insecurity has always kept me from getting very far with my own attempts at fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could try writing an occasional flash fic and posting it on your blog. It definitely makes me feel good about my writing abilities when someone takes the time to read one of mine and leave a compliment (I don't get much constructive criticism, but that's helpful too).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, introvert for sure! My favorite things to do are write, read, watch movies. Not much of a party animal :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Insecurity is a pesky little bugger, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. At the moment I'm downing a homeopathic remedy called "Rescue Calm". It's for stress and trauma. Which is sad as I'm not under (much) stress and I've had no trauma. But it's helping that worrying voice that's been bothering me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the wriggly cat analogy. As for the rest of your post - me, too. Even when I get good news (which is rare), I savor it for a little while and then go back to being worried about things and doubting myself. Ah, well, such is life. Have a great weekend, Carol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep writing! Pretty soon all those chatting characters will drown out the doubts. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your Turn. Don't Be Shy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...