Monday, March 25, 2013

The Coming Zombie Apocalypse


…or The Walking Dead marathon begins tonight.






How did I arrive at this juncture?


I've asked myself this question frequently over my lifetime. Like how did I become the one with deer heads hanging in my yard or known as the weird person who beats their flocked Christmas tree on the sidewalk?

Now I question my slobbering enthusiasm for Walking and how this show captured me so thoroughly.

It was after the first Walking marathon in January that I first really started watching this show. I arrived late to the party. Doodling like a kid texting rather than doing their homework then finally realizing what time it was.

At first, the storyline didn’t amaze me. Sometimes the only way to get through it was to skip the irritating parts.  But somewhere along the way, I quit hitting the FF button.

I don’t watch a lot of TV but I am loyal to the few programs that I do. Vampire Diaries is my guilty pleasure and fills my eek quota. I’d walk on broken glass to watch Justified every week. That show’s writers and plotters continually surprise me with twists in their storyline. I never know what is going to happen next.

After watching these TV shows, I go about my business until Tuesday or Thursday rolls around with another episode.

But Walking Dead. Holy Cats. It keeps me up at night. I’m thinking about it the next day and STILL can’t get a certain episode out of my head (the one with the hiker).

The characters are a part of my day now. Even the ones that I initially disliked when the show first premiered. Now I realize that a bad character has only one way to go: Up. I mourn when they die. Shocking.



Again, the marathon begins tonight with the pilot at 8 ET on AMC. It will run all episodes to the season’s finale on Sunday.

What is it about this show that controls me? Seriously, WHAT IS IT?


9 comments:

  1. An obsession with killing zombies maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to see it so I can't relate, but I have asked myself why I like certian shows sometimes and I always find that in the end it speaks to me for whatever, unexplainable, reason. Sometimes it just holds us captive, which is the power of stories. Enjoy the marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen season 3 yet but I sure loved the first two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love The Walking Dead - and I'd walk on glass too to see another episode of Justified. I was surprised I liked TWD also - I don't mind blood and gore but I was getting tired of zombies and the constant slaughter. But TWD isn't just about killing the zombies. The survival issues go deeper than just getting to the next building, figuring out exactly what happened to create the zombie infection.

    The hiker segment was about the creepiest thing the show has done. No story, just a normal guy on the road - one you pass by in everyday life. I cracked up when they backed up to get the back-pack. Just seemed the right thing to do :)

    I'll catch the last portion of the marathon over the weekend - I've seen every marathon and the episodes as they air. Really good show, I'm gonna miss it when they eventually end.

    .....dhole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That hiker episode hit me hard. Hard to explain but it was also an example of 'show' vs 'tell'. Everything that they are going through to survive was summoned up in that scene.

      I did not laugh btw.

      Delete
  5. The Walking Dead is an amazing show. Let me know if you'd like to read the book "The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor" on kindle. I might be able to hook you up. It took me two days to blaze through and kept me up at night. It's soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The reason we love it is because of the characters. The story has been told before and YA is full of various end of the world scenarios, but The Walking Dead has beautifully flawed characters trying to survive in a world that is just plain wrong. Nothing has prepared any of them for this new world and watching them try, seeing how they change and either fail horribly - like Shane - or rise to the challenge - like Daryl - is what makes this show effing fabulous, imho :)

    I can't wait until I can get a hold of season three.

    ReplyDelete
  7. havent talked to you in so long! hows it going!?
    let me know your book progress!

    and i will have to watch this, since you like it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm exactly like this. I watch only a few television shows (Game of Thrones is my big thing right now) but get REALLY into the ones I do.

    Not to plug myself, but your fascination with the macabre may serve you well in a certain query writing contest...

    ReplyDelete

Your Turn. Don't Be Shy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...