Monday, March 18, 2013

Contests, Edits, and Book Trailers


Edits. I completed and uploaded the first edits to my book, The Magic Withheld, and I am waiting on the second round. 

Formatting problems caused a mutual stumble between my fab editor Angela Kelly and me but we beat our respective programs into submission. In all ways, the communication was great, cordial, and immediate. Can’t ask for better than that.

Book trailers. My education in the making of book trailers grew exponentially since signing with Musa Publishing. I watched many YouTube versions of books and some movie trailers as well for a general cinematic concept that appealed to me. Sites that offer royalty free photos and music became daily haunts.

I went with Fotolia for most of my photos but there are many to choose from like Dreamstime and IStockphotos.

Researching and finding music was a pleasurable experience. These sites had great tunes:

But I went with Purple Planet. Love, love, LOVED their selections. I want to write another book just so I can go shopping at their site again.

I used Windows Live Movie Maker for the chrome and pizzazz. Fun doing that too.

After I made the initial trailer, I sent it to my CPs to tell me what worked and what didn’t. Boy Howdy, did they ever lay into me! Fantastic advice too.

When I get a release date for Magic, I’ll post my trailer for everyone to see.

And finally…

Contest. It’s a query contest conducted by SC Write. This looks like a golden opportunity for me since my query thunked big time last year. I want to know, why, why, WHY!

Got any book trailer tips for me? I’d love to hear them.



7 comments:

  1. Yay for first round!! Doesn't it feel good to be moving forward? I can't wait to read the final product and see the little changes here and there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The changes recommended by my editor were insightful and needed. They make the story stronger. But oh how I cringed when I saw the dumb mistakes I made throughout. *facepalm*

      Delete
  2. Several of my blogger buddies make excellent trailers and would be happy to help. Just glad I didn't have to make one for my books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting info on the book trailers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is kinda cool. The photos are within my price range but the videos? Nope. I'd love to add some actual movement to the trailer but they require a chunk of change.

      Delete
  4. If I were to make a book trailer (which I might in the future), I would look at my three favorite recent movie trailers and write an outline for each of them. Then I'd see what they had in common, how they stood out, etc, and incorporate such things.

    ReplyDelete

Your Turn. Don't Be Shy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...