Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Day two of This Old House



In all our travels on this crazy journey, we found some great products and services. This week I'll review the good stuff.

Today, Countertops.

I didn’t give a second thought to concrete or metal. Just not my style. And laminate? Been there. Done that. Tired of it.

Initally I wanted solid surface or a Corian type. This manufactured product is impervious to bacteria, comes in a wide variety of colors, and can have a molded sink made of the same material for a seamless look.

For all of the above reasons, I thought my choice was easy. But darker colors showed marks. I almost went for a light beige color but something stopped me. Could be it was the dealer who said, “Don’t worry about scratches. It’s easy to fix. You just buff them out.”

Hm. Well my next thought was, easy to fix, easy to scratch. I decide to pass. Besides I did want a darker color.

Granite sounded nice but Wow, the price. Yikes.

I went one grade down and investigated quartz. This product has every color imaginable, impervious, 93% stone, easy to clean, no maintenance like sealing, and is less expensive than granite.

I chose Copper Patina, a rich brown stone with bits of coppery-colored glass scattered throughout the surface. It feels silky, not cold like stone or tile, and the hubby has caught me petting my countertop every now and then.

Tomorrow I’ll review Mitsubishi Ductless heating and cooling

9 comments:

  1. I'm drooling... I'd be petting those countertops, too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regarding the caressing, petting, stroking:
      You have no idea. *rolls eyes*

      If my face took a better picture, I'd lay on top of the counter and get a shot of my ecstasy.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It has two seams that are unnoticeable. The Corian is seamless and lighter in weight. Quartz is more expensive but not THAT much more.

      80 sq ft of counter top, fabricated locally, and installed.
      Total: $4500.

      Yes it was worth it. The priciest improvement we bought.

      Delete
  3. Someday when I redo our (Pointless) kitchen...I'm getting all butcher block and stainless (Hopefully we can find professional grade stainless counter tops). I love your color you picked out! It's beautiful!! Very inviting! And way to keep it local!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...why do I get the feeling there may have been hums of "my precious" while you were petting that gorgeous countertop? lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i looove that color! rich brown! so excited about you reviewing your remodel! and glad we get some after pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, that last pic really shows off how pretty it is. Nice!

    ReplyDelete

Your Turn. Don't Be Shy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...