Thursday, March 17, 2011

Book Review – The Wise Man’s Fear

I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.



You may have heard of me.

So begins The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.


My interest in this novel began after downloading the first free chapter. I read five pages then bought the Kindle version.

In little more than four chapters, I knew this book was ‘antique oak bookshelf’ worthy, fit to be alongside my most beloved of novels. I purchased the binding and paper version to rest beside LOTR.

The Wise Man’s Fear is second in the series and does not disappoint. Too often, when I begin a new book, I get bored, irritated and start skipping whole paragraphs then whole pages. Mr. Rothfuss wrote in such a way, with voice, drama, and subtle descriptions that I skimmed nothing. Filled with bits and pieces of mysteries, tail ends of questions for the reader, I find this style fascinating to the nth degree.

Congratulations to Mr. Rothfuss on writing a truly fine series and achieving the NYT bestseller list.

1 comment:

Your Turn. Don't Be Shy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...